Last Friday, November 4th, the Open vStorage team released the first RC of the new Fargo version. We are really excited about Fargo as there are a lot of new features being added to it. To name some of the new features:
- Support for Ubuntu 16.04.
- HA for the Edge which allows automatic failover in case the host running the VolumeDriver goes down.
- Support for Arakoon as distributed config management.
- 64TB volumes.
Earlier versions of Open vStorage supported Ubuntu 14.04. With the release of Ubuntu 16.04, which is an Ubuntu LTS version and hence will have updates and support for the next 5 years, it was essential for us to also update the Open vStorage software to work on Ubuntu 16.04.
Get started with Ubuntu 16.04:
Installing Open vStorage on Ubuntu 16.04 is almost as easy as installing on 14.04. One change is that the software packages are now signed. Signing the packages allows you, the installer of the packages, to verify that no modifications occurred after the packages were signed. The steps to get the latest packages are as simple as:
- Download and install Ubuntu 16.04 on the host.
- Add the Open vStorage repo to the host:
echo "deb http://apt.openvstorage.com unstable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ovsaptrepo.list
- Add the key:
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4EFFB1E7
- Make sure the Open vStorage packages have a higher preference so our packages are installed:
Pin: origin apt.openvstorage.com
- Run apt-get update to get the latest packages
To install the Open vStorage software you can follow the normal flow as described here.